Sunday, July 7, 2013

Midway, UT Staycation

When I won a 3 night stay at the Zermatt Resort in Midway, UT we decided to go up over the 4th of July weekend.  I've always loved Midway, a little Swiss town tucked in the mountains up Provo Canyon, and someday would love a cabin or vacation home there.  While living at BYU, I remember the Zermatt Resort opening and wondered if I'd ever be able to afford a stay there.  Our rooms were impressive, indeed!  They gave us 3 rooms - a master bedroom and a standard bedroom, 2 bathrooms, a living room with fireplace, and a full kitchen.  The kids liked jumping on the beds, giggling until midnight with each other, cooking a pizza in our kitchen, and the swimming pool the best.

We arrived on the 4th of July in time to get BBQ at The Homestead (a sister resort across the street) and watch fireworks on their golf course.
We hiked to the top of the resident crater to see the view.  The kiddos made friends with people swimming and scuba diving in the thermal pool inside the crater.
At the bottom of the crater.
 While Tyson finished his work week at the station in SLC the next day, Tyler, Lydia, and I explored The Zermatt.  It has a carousel.  Every hotel should have a carousel.
 Tyler likes to bring a notebook and pencil with him.  Since he can't write yet, he draws the things he sees and the ideas he gets.
 With Tyson back and rested, we drove up the canyon to walk the Bridal Veil Falls trail.  Tyler found a friendly butterfly and was absolutely thrilled.  Good for him for being gentle enough to hold it.
 Dada and Lydia at the base of the falls.
 Tyler fashioned a fishing pole out of a stick and some pipecleaner (and I started humming "Big River" songs).  He didn't catch anything though.  Nuts.
 Grandma Joyce and Grandpa Jim drove up to meet us the next day for a hike up at Cascade Springs.  This is a perfect hike for me. Nice and groomed and pretty.  WIth just enough incline here and there to say I'm hiking. :-)
 In which I make an appearance in a photo.
 She had to stop at every drinking fountain.  And do it herself.
And stop at every sign.
Grandpa Jim with his grandkiddos. 
 Grandma Joyce knows what will make Lydia happy.
 Fun trip close to home!  At the end of it all, I asked her to sit at the bottom of the crater and be my model.  I do not know how she learned to pose like this, but it cracks me up!
 Awww.  Love it when they're friends!

No comments: