11 years ago, I was serving in the Brazil Goiania Mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Early this year there was a mission reunion in Brazil that I wish I could have attended, but because I couldn't, I decided to reminisce.
As I was serving, they invented the digital camera - or so it seemed. I remember working as an MTC teacher afterwards and trying to figure out the new fangled cameras to snap photos of the missionaries for them. Anyway, I finished scanning all of my hard copy mission pictures and titling them in my mission albums. Tip - label your mission pictures within the 1st year of arriving home, not a decade later. Thank goodness for my thorough mission journals. And for Facebook. Say what you will about it, I have reconnected with so many people whom I love in Brazil that I probably never would have been able to find and speak with again.
Here are about 8% of my mission photos that document just some of my journey and time in Brazil.
So there's Goiânia. A large city surrounded by cattle ranches. Think, the Oklahoma of Brazil. Beautiful farmlands, wonderful food, kind people, and hot.
But first, I went to São Paulo to the Missionary Training Center.
I loved my district which is what will make or break an MTC stay, in my opinion.
My 1st companion, Sister Melander, and me at our weekly São Paulo temple trip while at the MTC.
My district was headed all over Brazil.
My Goiânia brothers, Elder Hadlock and Elder Cluff. We looked out for each other throughout our entire mission.
President and Sister Casado. Good, good people. I want to be like them.
My 1st area was right in the suburbs of Goiânia (Bairro Goiá) with my Trainer/Mother, Sister Regina and it was hard. I didn't speak or understand Portuguese, it was a culture shock, and it was grueling work - physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. My Trainer worked me really hard, I later realized, but I am grateful for how she shaped my stamina and discipline which held me through the rest of my mission.
I wore holes through my sandals almost every 6 weeks.
Cleaning out the baptismal font. If you ever go to the Provo MTC, this photo is enlarged and framed on one of the walls. When I taught there, as their going away gift, one of my districts found it and hung it right outside my classroom door. :-)
How appropriate - this street sign translates to say, "American of Brazil".
It was exhausting work.
Sister Elias came to join me in Bairro Goiá as my 2nd companion. She taught me how to laugh again. Still struggling with the language and struggling even harder with a heavy heart because of all of the people so dear to me accepting the gospel of Jesus Christ, but unwilling to do anything about it, Sister Elias was heaven sent to encourage me, teach me, and lighten me up. She taught me how to relate with people and be happy.
Sister Souza joined us in Bairro Goiá to make up a trio. We were still learning the dynamics of our companionship when I was emergency transferred across town to help due to an injured Sister.
Sister Alexandre had hurt her foot the the point of needing physical therapy. Feet are kind of crucial to a missionary in Brazil. Sister dos Santos was brand new to the mission field and I was sent to the Balneário area to walk with her for a few weeks. I was terrified. I had never taught more than the 1st discussion. Being Brazilian, Sister dos Santos knew the language, but not the lessons, so, sweet as she was, initially she wasn't much help beyond making contacts.
Here I experienced the miracle of the gift of tongues. I opened my mouth and I could speak, I could teach. Every single discussion. Not flawlessly, mind you, but I did it. I would come home spiritually drained and Sister Alexandre would give me pep talks. I had cried when I was emergency transferred, but I now could see the Lord needed to prove to me who was in charge.
When Sister Alexandre's foot healed, I was allowed to go back to my old area for a short time. Then I was transferred to a completely different state - Minas Gerais. There I joined Sister Brandão in Uberaba (the California area. Funny, huh!). She was large and in charge. In fact, she told me that when she went in for her mission exam, the doctor wrote "Rejected" on her papers due to her weight. She erased it and wrote "Accepted" and went on her mission.
Sister Brandão, I later found out when she tearfully apologized, did everything she could to test me and try me. Thankfully by this mid-point in my mission, my attitude was super positive. I could speak, I could teach, I was used to the culture, I had friends, I had had spiritual experiences, I was close to the Lord. She and I became good friends and she taught me to teach, teach, teach, everywhere and to everyone. I learned to love teaching the gospel and to open my mouth to everyone on the street!
It was about this time that President and Sister Barbour arrived as our new Mission President and wife. More good people.
I loved being in Uberaba, out in the country. The land was beautiful to me.
After awhile I was transferred to the other side of the city, the Boa Vista area. The ward was full of good people and close. I was back with Sister Souza, whom I really hadn't had the chance to get to know well when I was in a trio with her for a few weeks in Goiânia. I taught her everything my previous companions had taught me and we worked hard! We powerhoused through the city. She was a wonderful example of love and determination to me. On P-days she would cook for me (instead of my typical raman noodles) and she helped me in any way she could. I felt more equal with her (instead of a distinct Jr. or Sr. companion) than I did with any other companion.
The fruit in Brazil is amazing! People didn't mind at all when we would clap at their gates and ask to pick it right off their tree. This is a Jaca fruit. We got to try one. It is extremely bland, with an extremely sticky and potent perfumey smelling center. I prefer mangos, guava, acerola, passion fruit, açaí.
My last area was in the city of Caldas Novas. A couple of hours south of Goiânia, it is a touristy town famous for it's natural hot water springs. The branch was tiny, but the hearts of the members were big.
There I met up with my new companion, Sister Regina. Oh my goodness, talk about sisters separated at heaven! She used to tell people that we were twins, only I was born in the morning, and she was born at night. Some believed her. We worked so well together and became best of friends. She would make me fresh mango juice all the time, let me sweep every week while she mopped (because I hate mopping), would chase and kill the cockroaches, and tell me stories at night while I lay exhausted in bed, but unable to fall asleep.
It rained a lot. I love the rain and it was warm, so I didn't mind. I did go through a lot of umbrellas though.
Once a wild toucan let me pick it up.
A cool pay phone.
I finished my mission out in Caldas Novas by training a brand new Sister Hatch. She struggled quite a bit emotionally and with adjusting at first, but I was proud of her for sticking it out and for growing stronger and happier as her mission progressed. She reminded me of how important a priesthood blessing can be as they were such a help to her.
I taught many, many people about Jesus Christ and his gospel. Many people gained a testimony for themselves that what we taught was the truth. I could see it in their eyes and hear it in their voices as they shared their own testimonies and spiritual experiences. I felt the sweet presence of the Holy Ghost in almost every single discussion and during many other conversations as well. But so many dear people were not ready to make a lifestyle change to fully follow the commandments of Jesus Christ and commit to attending church and discarding their bad habits. It made my heart ache. But I know we each choose our own path.
I wish I could have been in one of those missions where they baptize hundreds unto the Lord, but I am thankful to have at least done the work for the Savior that I did. One day I was able to return to an old area for a few days. While walking along the streets, a woman I met maybe once a long time ago rushed up the hill to me calling, "Sister, Sister! I've been praying, just like you taught me!" She had never before known how to talk to her Heavenly Father for herself and now she had a relationship with Him.
People tell stories of going on missions and finding people they "promised since the pre-mortal life to find on earth." I always assumed they were talking about investigators. In my case, I believe I was sent to find some of my companions. And vice versa. Some told me later of ways that I blessed and helped them and I know how they impacted my life - and still do. Some with life lessons, some with laughter and joy, others with service or strength or sisterhood. All with love.
I am so blessed to have been called to Brazil to have met these fine Sisters (all pictured below except for Sister Alexandre who had just left and Sister Hatch who had yet to arrive). To have loved and felt love in return from the humble and wonderful people in the middle of Brazil. To have served in a work so important and to have been so close to my Heavenly Father. My mission was the hardest thing I have ever done, but it was the best. It shaped the course of the rest of my life.
A year and a half later - heading home to Utah!
The whole album (yes, all 414 photos) is here -
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151176606822735.441880.716917734&type=3
No comments:
Post a Comment