Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Quick Trip to Zion

Somehow I heard of a photography workshop sponsored by Canon, held in Zion National Park where you could check out any camera gear you wanted and attend a class in the park for free.  I wished I could go to try out some different lenses and because I have never been to Zion, but couldn't figure out how to make it happen.  Enter the hubby and the parents.  Tyson told me to take a day off my mommy duties and the parents offered to pay for transportation and expenses as an early birthday present.  The very next day, June 30th, I flew down to St. George! 
Upon arrival at the prettiest little airport I have ever flown in to, the car rental guy informed me that they had no more $25 a day compact cars in the lot.  Would I mind driving their brand new Mustang convertible instead? 
 You better believe I took the top down.  For about 20 minutes.  It was over 100 degrees outside. 
Ironic story - On this trip, I got the fanciest car and the worst motel.  Never stay at the Coronado in room 206.  It took 1/2 an hour to check in during the afternoon because they had lost my reservation, despite the 3 page print out confirmation I presented.  When I came back exhausted at midnight, my room was hot as an oven, with a bathroom fan that sounded like a jet engine, bare mattresses on the bed.  The next room I was sent to wouldn't open - because someone was already sleeping in that room!  Finally room 121 was available and actually quite decent.  I felt like I was playing hotel room roulette.  

1st stop, the St. George temple.  I have read a lot about this historic temple, built in 1877, and have walked around the outside, but this time I got to go inside and do some temple work.
Next stop, Zion National Park.  I didn't mind the hour drive at all!  In fact I made the trip twice during my day and a half stay. :-)
I found the Canon tent set up right outside the Visitor Center and 1st chose this baby.  A 70-200mm f/2.8.
 A $1,500 lens that allowed me to take detailed pictures like this... 
...from a peak like this.
And sparkly pictures like this.  Don't you just want to jump in?
I'll admit, it started to get really heavy for hiking around so I traded it in for a lighter lens and joined my class.  We had a professional photographer take us on a walk down a trail and teach us some technique.  But what really made the class interesting was a park ranger who was off duty and taking the class himself.  While Lindsey taught us about photography, Park Ranger taught us about Zion, answered questions, and gave tips on where to see wildlife and get a good view of the sunset. 
 This place in incredible!
I'm so glad I came.
I even got to try out this $13,000 800mm lens.  See that peak way over there that it's pointing to?
I never would have known this was up there.  This is one powerful lens.
Crawford Arch is a 427 foot long delicate arch high on the west side of Bridge Mountain.  Look at this photo shot in the 1930's.  Amazing!
 After class, I took off on my own.  I was really impressed with the layout of the park.  I was able to enter the Pedestrian Entrance and use the reliable shuttle system up and down the canyon.  I took it all the way to the top so I could listen to the audio tour.  I got off at the River Walk and took the path to The Narrows.
 I hiked up through the entrance of The Narrows, crossed the water and hiked up a bit more.  Beautiful.
 I saw so much wildlife in Zion!  Lots of deer, fawns, a gray fox, a squirrel, a lizard, wild turkeys.  These two deer were completely unafraid of all the people around them.
Figuring out my camera remote. :-)
There is so much desert surrounding the area, I had no idea the oasis that is Zion.  Green, lush, the river, wildflowers and ferns. 
Hiking back out of The Narrows.  Look at all the green!  So pretty against the red rock.  Heavenly Father sure must have enjoyed designing all of this.
 I came out of the canyon to hike the Pa'rus Trail down to the Visitor Center just as the sun had almost set.  Forgive the repetition of these 3 photos, but I can't help it, Zion National Park is absolutely beautiful!  Look for yourself - 
 Although I was sad to have missed the actual sunset by only about 10 minutes, look what I did get to see!  I only wished I had that telephoto zoom lens back so I could have gotten closer pictures.  But in real life, watching the moon rise was spectacular.
After stopping by the temple visitor center and driving around some of the Church historical sites in St. George on Sunday, I had time to drive up to Zion again before my flight out.  On the way back, I stopped whenever I saw something of interest.

A bridge looking toward the park.
An ostrich farm.
A tree covered with hiking shoes.
This trip was so worth it.  Thank you Tyson (watched the kids), Lisa (buddy pass), Mom and Dad (financed it) for making it happen!  I can't wait to go back and explore more of Zion National Park.

3 comments:

Bjarnsons said...

So beautiful! How wonderful that you got to go. :)

Andrea and Preston said...

Such great pics, Carrie!! You guys are back in Utah now? I am out of the loop! Hope all is well!

B said...

This was honestly the best blog post I have read in a long while. I love that you went and did all that solo - you're my kind of gal. PLEASE let me go with you next time. The park, the class, the hikes, the temple, the drives (not the hotel) is right up my alley. I wish we lived closer. Happy Birthday, amiga. Te desejo felicidades e mais viagems assim! Um grande abraco!