Sunday, June 12, 2011

St. George Temple Break

As we started the trek home on Saturday, we stopped at one of the many road side produce stands in CA. We bought fresh bags of oranges, lemons, a couple of mangos, and 2 bags of avocados for about $10. I wish I lived here! Staying over in Las Vegas again, we set off for home on Sunday, making a stop in St. George.

While Tyler got his wiggles out -
I played with my newish camera -
I've been really wanting to visit the St. George temple after recently reading a book about it. It is a stunningly beautiful building and is definitely on my travel bucket list to come back when I can go inside and do some temple work.

Interesting story - when the early pioneers finished the temple in 1877, Brigham Young did not like the tower at all. He said it was "too short and squatty", but the Saints had worked so hard and were so worn out (they really built it quite fast considering the era and the building quality), he took sympathy on them and dedicated it as it was. He passed away shortly thereafter.
Photo credit: www.institute.lds.org
A year later lightning struck and destroyed the dome. The joke amongst the settlers was that Brigham Young ultimately got his way. Out of love and respect to the prophet, they immediately redesigned and built the taller tower that stands today.

1 comment:

Kelli said...

That is an awesome story about the St. George temple! Thanks for sharing!!!