July 1st - Roadtrip! I have to admit, Tyson and I loaded the car with some trepidation at the start of our 7 1/2 hour drive to Nauvoo. We were super excited to go to Nauvoo, but apprehensive about our backseat passenger with a history of a 1 hour car tolerance. On the dot. Much to our surprise, Tyler actually did great on the car ride! The drive went well and we enjoyed the scenery - Iowa's rolling green hills really can be beautiful in July.
Speaking of beautiful, we arrived in Nauvoo that evening. Right as Tyson's parents had checked in. We unpacked, walked down the main street, and around the temple grounds. Justin (Carrie's brother) and Michelle arrived later that night. We were all staying in the same little hotel just down the street from the temple, The White House Inn, which made it nice for putting Tyler to bed and then playing games in a different room.
Tyler must have been really excited to be in Nauvoo because the next morning he popped right up in his crib and was raring to go. Did I mention this was at 4:30am? After several unsuccessful attempts to put him back to bed, I grabbed the stroller and took him out for an early morning walk. As much as I hated getting up so early, the quiet peace of morning in Nauvoo was one of my favorite parts of our trip. If I lived in Nauvoo, I would totally become an early morning walker (remind me that I said that when we're 70-year-old missionaries, Honey).
Ty loved the statues outside the Visitor's Center. Giving the little girl a hug of encouragement as she learns to walk.
Giving Daddy a kiss on the cheek.
"Look Mama! They're playing Ring Around the Rosies. Let's go play too!"
When everyone else woke up, we went down to tour the sites, go on the wagon rides, watch the shows ("Sunset By the Mississippi" is a must see. Those Senior missionaries are a hoot!), and shop Mulholland street. We did this for the two full days we were here. Tyson visited the Land and Records office and located the property where his ancestor lived. We drove past it and it's for sale! How cool would that be to buy back the property for his family again? Maybe someday...
Listening attentively to the Senior Missionary talk about his horse.
Feeding the sheep.
Stick pulling.
Those wagons are a lot smaller than I realized! The oxen were nice though.
The nice thing about vacationing with lots of family, is having lost of babysitting offers! Tyson and I were able to attend the temple while Justin and Michelle played with Tyler.
Thank you! You guys were a big help on our trip!
I'm so, so grateful for everything and everyone that went into the rebuilding of the Nauvoo temple. If you ever get a chance to go inside, don't miss it! Of course the outside is gorgeous, but it is also the most beautiful temple I have ever seen on the inside and the spirit of the pioneers is strong. Nauvoo, itself, has that special feeling. It is one of my favorite places on earth, and now one of Tyson's as well.
For Tyson's take on Nauvoo, check out his new blog - http://tysonp.blogspot.com/









3 comments:
This looked like a very fun trip. So fun to be able to meet up with family. Good job at taking lots of pictures to chronicle it. I always seem to forget the camera in my bag and end up with no pictures later. :)
Very cool Carrie! :) Great pictures!
Looks like fun times! I totally miss you Carrie! Thanks for finding my blog! I will definitely follow yours now!
Post a Comment